Husband Arrested in Owensboro Murder

Published: Aug. 30, 2006 at 10:10 PM CDT|Updated: Oct. 6, 2006 at 1:35 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Reporter: Jonathan Hardison
New Media Producer: Rachel Chambliss

UPDATE, MON, 8:30 PM: Police had considered Calvin Stoudt a person of interest in August, and investigators told 14 News they had sent DNA samples to a state crime lab. But Owensboro police are refusing to comment on whether or not those DNA test results led to Monday's arrest.

Calvin Stoudt has been under some suspicion almost since the day of his wife's murder because of discrepancies between his account of what happened and the physical evidence.

It was Calvin Stoudt who called police to his home on Lee Court on Sunday night, June 25, telling them he had come home from church to discover his wife's strangled body. Police found no evidence of a break-in and no signs of a struggle which could mean Corrine was either surprised or knew her attacker.

And though Stoudt said his wife was fine when he left for church that afternoon, the coroner told 14 News that might not have been true.

Owensboro Police Officer Jeff Arntz states, "He left his house at 4:30, and he said she was fine when he left."

Daviess County Coroner Bob Howe informs, "She was found approximately 8 at night, but I think she'd been dead quite a while before that - since maybe shortly before noon."

Toogie Everly, a neighbor, says, "It didn't add up at all."

Neighbors say that timing discrepancy led them to be suspicious of Corrine's husband.

Everly continues, "She was already in rigor. Well, it takes longer than that. I didn't know for sure, but that's what I've always heard."

Though not completely surprised by this arrest, neighbors are relieved to know an accused killer is off the streets.

"Yeah, rather than some stranger cuz you never know what can happen. But we keep our doors locked anyway," says Everly.

Calvin Stoudt is being held in the Daviess County Detention Center on a $100,000 bond. Owensboro police are referring questions to the Commonwealth's attorney who was unavailable for comment Monday night.

14 News will continue to follow this case and bring you the latest as it develops.

From the Owensboro Police Department:

UPDATE, MON, 5:20 PM: At approximately 3:55 p.m. Monday, officers from the Owensboro Police Department arrested Calvin Stoudt for murder on an indictment warrant.

Calvin Stoudt is lodged at the Daviess County Detention Center. The warrant is dated October 2, 2006, and has a bond of $100,000.

The police department is not releasing any information about the case.

Jonathan Hardison is in Owensboro bringing you the latest right here and on 14 News @ 10.

Reporter: Kim Dacey
New Media Producer: Rachel Chambliss

PREVIOUSLY: There have been no arrests in the murder of an Owensboro woman, but there are new developments in the case.

Forty-six-year old Corrine Stoudt was found strangled to death in her Owensboro home June 25. Even though its been more than two months since the crime, investigators are reassuring the public that this is anything but a cold case.

Owensboro investigators say they are pleased with the pace of the investigation. But they won't comment on specifics of the case or say if they are looking at any "persons of interest" other than Corrine's husband, Calvin.

Calvin says he came home and found her body in the living room and their bedroom ransacked. But the county coroner says the bedroom didn't appear to be turned upside down.

Bob Howe, Daviess County coroner, says, "The drawers were stacked on top of each other on the dresser itself - not anything was knocked off. It looked like maybe a staged type thing."

Police say Calvin Stoudt is not a suspect in his wife's death - only a person of interest. On Friday, police collected a DNA sample from him.

Owensboro police officer Captain Jeff Speed states, "That sample will be forwarded along to the state lab to go along with the other information and possible evidence that we've obtained from the scene."

Earlier this month, local news media received phone messages saying Corrine was not the intended victim.

Police have those recordings and are analyzing them.

Owensboro police officer Sergeant Ken McKenzie says, "They will be sent to the FBI, to their lab, to determine whose voice, if they are able to determine whose voice it is, on the tapes."

Police insist this is not a cold case; the investigation is very much alive and on-going; it just takes time to gather and assess all the evidence.

Speed assures, "I'm comfortable with the way the process has taken place so far and the case we're building."

Investigators aren't sure exactly when the test results will come back. But McKenzie says it's normally four to six weeks.