Fiance of murdered man speaks to 14 News

Published: Mar. 23, 2017 at 2:11 AM CDT|Updated: Apr. 1, 2017 at 10:28 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WHITESVILLE, KY (WFIE) - It has been almost eight months since Jonathan "Simone" Dewitt last saw her fiance, 29-year-old Tromain MacKall alive.

She told us she can't describe the pain she's been going through grieving MacKall's death and remembering the future they were planning together.

State troopers say on July 25, 2016, seven people were attending a party at a house in Whitesville. For reasons Dewitt tells us she's uncomfortable discussing, she left the party and was driven home by 48-year-old William Howard Junior.

Dewitt tells us she didn't know William or his wife Melanie very well. She met them a few times through her best friend.

"I tried to get Tromain to leave with me, but he refused. Since William was the only sober one there, he was the one who took me home," said Dewitt in an email interview.

At a preliminary hearing, detectives say Howard received a phone call during the ride back to Dewitt's house from his wife Melanie.

Detectives say she told Howard she had been assaulted by Tromain back at the house. Dewitt tells us she doesn't remember a phone call.

She says the ride home was almost complete silence and if Howard received a phone call it was after he dropped her off.

"I learned of Tromain hitting Mel when I messaged my best friend, who was still at the party, to see how things were going," said Dewitt.

Detectives told the courtroom this afternoon a witness at the party told them Howard returned home and hit MacKall. That's when detectives say a fight broke out on the porch and moved to the backyard.

Detectives say the witness told them the witness went back inside the house and left the party with Howard's wife.

Mackall had been missing for several days. Dewitt tells us at first she wasn't concerned.

She assumed he went somewhere to calm down. When McKall didn't return her calls or texts, she became very worried. A missing persons report was filed.

On August 2, 2016, MacKall's body was found inside a tool box that was floating in Spring Fork Creek in Grayson County.

In court today, detectives say MacKall died a slow death from strangulation and suffocation. Detectives went on to say a tow strap, duck tape, electrical chord, and zip ties were used to bind him.

Detectives say inside the tool box was plastic bags with what appeared to be chopped fruit.

A search warrant was issued for Howard's house and truck. Detectives say inside his home they found similar zip ties, similar plastic bags with chopped fruit, duct tape, a piece of carpet that was similar to carpet found inside the toolbox.

Inside the truck, detectives say they found similar tow straps and an air compressor with a cut chord. Detectives say the Kentucky State Crime lab determined the other end of the chord was found inside the toolbox.

Howard has been charged with murder, kidnapping, and tampering with physical evidence.

Howard's case will be heard next month by the grand jury.

Copyright 2017 WFIE. All rights reserved.