30 people displaced after methane gas leak at Princeton apartment complex
PRINCETON, IN (WFIE) - At least 30 people are displaced after a methane gas leak at an apartment complex in Princeton.
It was reported around 3:30 p.m. Friday that there was a gas odor at Tower Manor Apartments. Fire crews and Vectren crews were called to the scene to find the source.
We're told the gas is coming from the ground. The property was built on top of an old coal mine and state officials say an earthquake from last week may have caused the methane gas to rise into the building.
The complex was evacuated around 7 p.m. Friday night. At least 30 people are displaced until it is safe to return.
No one was taken to the hospital.
Mayor Brad Schmitt says the city is doing everything possible to find out what happened and get the displaced residents back home as soon as possible.
Copyright 2016 WFIE. All rights reserved.