Owensboro man hospitalized after e-cigarette battery explodes in pocket

Published: Feb. 23, 2016 at 8:09 PM CST|Updated: Mar. 4, 2016 at 8:09 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

OWENSBORO, KY (WFIE) - An Owensboro man was hospitalized after an e-cigarette battery exploded in his pocket.

It happened over the weekend at a Shell Gas Station.

Surveillance video shows Josh Hamilton was standing in line, waiting to be checked out when the battery exploded.

Hamilton rushed past an employee, went outside the door, and struggled to take his burning pants off.

An employee behind the counter grabbed a fire extinguisher and put the fire out.

Another customer drove Hamilton to Owensboro Health Regional Hospital for second degree burns on his leg.

Copyright 2016 WFIE. All rights reserved.