Advertisement

Indiana WIC funding no longer in jeopardy

Published: Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM CDT|Updated: Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

There's good news on Tuesday night for Hoosiers who depend on WIC.

As it first reported last month, the program was in jeopardy of losing its funding. But now, it seems Indiana will be able to fund the food assistance program after all.

Chairman of the Health Department Board of Directors Bob Stayman says he and the other directors were almost certain they would lose WIC by now, but a sudden change of heart from the state government has changed everything.

Last month, Stayman told 14 News that the state was cutting funding for fringe benefits that included the WIC program.

Since Vanderburgh County doesn't have the ability to sustain the program on its own, Stayman says the board was prepared to transfer the program to a yet-to-be-named entity.

Stayman says when the county health department contacted the state health department to let them know about this preparation, they received word they would receive full state-funding of the program after all.

"All I can say is, they must have realized that there was going be a hiatus in the WIC coverage. They realized that it's great to have an austerity plan and save money and all that, but sometimes, you hurt people. That may have hit home," Stayman said.

Stayman says everyone at the health department breathed a sigh of relief when they heard this news.

Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.