Police find weapons, multiple rounds of ammunition inside standoff suspects' home

Published: May. 16, 2013 at 2:57 PM CDT|Updated: May. 23, 2013 at 10:57 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
John Cannon, 33. (Source: Evansville Police Dept.)
John Cannon, 33. (Source: Evansville Police Dept.)

We are learning new details about the four hour standoff last night in Evansville.

The standoff started Wednesday evening in the 1400 block of Grand Avenue.

Police went to the home at 1408 S. Grand to arrest 33-year-old John Cannon on charges that he held his ex-girlfriend and her 6 month old son in the home for 3 days against their will.

During that time, they were not allowed to leave. The victim told investigators that Cannon beat her several times with his hands and also hit her with a metal baseball bat. The victim said Cannon threatened to shoot her son if police came to the house looking for her. She also told police there was an AR-15 rifle in the basement of the house.

When the victim was allowed to leave, she went to a local ER for treatment and reported the incident to police.

The victim tells 14 News she "feared for the her life and her baby boy."

When police arrived to arrest Cannon, he fled into the basement.

His mother was evacuated from the front room of the home and the SWAT Team surrounded the house.

Police put tear gas into the home after Cannon refused to surrender or communicate with negotiators.

After a 4 hour standoff, Cannon was overwhelmed by the tear gas and surrendered.

During the search, investigators removed weapons from the home. That included the AR-15 that the victim told officers was in the house. EPD says the AR-15 came back as being stolen during a burglary on Evansville's northside in March 2012.

Multiple rounds of ammunition and several cans of black powder were also removed from the home. Investigators also found the bat believed to have been used to assault the victim.

EPD says Cannon was out of jail on bond on a separate criminal confinement case at the time of the latest crimes and standoff.

In February of 2012, Cannon was involved in a police chase that ended when he crashed his truck. When he was taken into custody, he was in possession of a stolen handgun.

Cannon also had an AR-15 rifle on the driver's seat that was loaded and had a round in the chamber and the safety switch was off. More rifles were found in the bed of the truck. During those events, Cannon said it would be "war" if police tried to arrest him.

Due to his previous actions and the information given to officers during the latest crimes, the SWAT Team was used to make the arrests. Cannon is in jail on the original confinement, battery charges, receiving stolen property, and also faces resisting law enforcement charges.

Cannon is in the Vanderburgh County Jail on a $1,500,000 bond.

Related Stories:
Evansville standoff suspect in police custody

Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.