KY attorney wants major bank to reimburse those paying child support

Published: Dec. 2, 2011 at 11:27 PM CST|Updated: Dec. 9, 2011 at 11:27 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Henderson's Prosecutors Office says J.P. Morgan Chase Bank bounced payments and double issued payments to some, only to reverse them later.

Gold says his phone has been ringing off the hook all day.

"Judging by our call volume today, it certainly did affect Henderson and other counties."

Gold says the child support payments in question are November 25th and December 1st.

He says in 743 cases, Chase bank bounced payments, making people believe they had money they didn't have.

Gold says in nearly 3,000 other cases he says they issued double payments, which they later reversed.

"A lot of times, people are counting on that money, so when a check bounces or the bank makes a mistake like this, it's very harmful. It's just outrageous it's occurred."

Officials say to make the problem worse, this is causing people overdraft fees and bounced personal checks all in time for Christmas.

Gold says he's now calling on Chase bank to reimburse all who were affected and now have fees.

"It's their mistake and they need to make this right," Gold says.

There are 6,200 child support recipients in the commonwealth.

If you received a payment, you are urged to contact the central processing unit to confirm that your money is there.

You also can report any fees you have incurred.

If you fall into either one of the above mentioned categories,the number to call is 800-248-1163.

Callers should ask to speak to Sandra Barnett, Trisha Johnson, Melissa Roby, or Loretta Dawson.

Copyright 2011 WFIE. All rights reserved.