EFD: Investigators determine house fire on E. Gum St. accidental

EFD: Investigators determine house fire on E. Gum St. accidental
Published: Mar. 25, 2023 at 9:39 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WFIE) - Evansville firefighters responded to a house fire on Saturday night.

According to a press release, firefighters were dispatched just before 9 p.m. Saturday night to the 800 block of Gum Street in response to a possible house fire.

Officials say fire crews that first arrived reported fire at the back of the house.

Fire officials say the residents evacuated the home safely before fire crews arrived.

Officials say fire crews extinguished the fire within 15 minutes.

Evansville Fire Department officials say investigators determined the fire was started on the back porch then extended into the kitchen and attic space.

Officials say there was smoke throughout the home and CenterPoint was called to the scene to disconnect the the electrical service due to the damage.

Fire officials say the fire has been classified as accidental due to discarded trash which had been burned, but not fully extinguished, and left unattended.

Officials say the residents were displaced due to the damage and the American Red Cross was notified to assist the family.

The press release states no injuries were reported.