One week after shooting, Evansville west side Walmart reopens

One week after shooting, Evansville west side Walmart reopens
Published: Jan. 25, 2023 at 5:34 AM CST|Updated: Jan. 25, 2023 at 5:47 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WFIE) - The doors at the west side Walmart have officially opened back up again.

Officials say customers were welcomed back beginning at 6 a.m. Wednesday.

The store has been closed since a shooting occurred inside it last Thursday night.

[Previous Story: Woman shot at Evansville Walmart; Suspect killed]

Police shot and killed 25-year-old Ronald Mosley II after he shot 28-year-old Amber Cook.

Officials say Cook is recovering from serious injuries.

[Related: Mother of Walmart shooting victim gives update on her condition]

The Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office shared body cam footage from eight different deputies.

It shows their response starting with reacting to dispatch, arriving on scene, and then working to secure the store.

This includes moments of confusion, as groups of officers tried to find where the shooter was, and identify other groups of officers.

Eventually, you see them react once shots are fired.

[Related Story: Released body cam footage, 911 calls demonstrate timeline of Walmart shooting]

EPD Chief Bolin says the police department will have extra security at the local stores for some time.

What was a sparse morning crowd later turned into a full parking lot.

Looking at the customers going in and out, you’d have no idea what had occurred here less than a week ago.

The one difference? An EPD Squad Car posted out in front of the store, reminding customers like Carol Porter that while the threat was neutralized that night, they have still got their backs.

“I was kind of nervous,” says Porter, “but I had to come here.”

Porter lives in Mount Vernon, so the West Side Walmart is the closest and most cost-effective way to get what she needs.

Still, she was feeling the nerves on the drive over.

“I thought, ‘Well, I’ll go look around first. I’ll come into the parking lot and look first,’ and as soon as I seen that police car I was able to be more at ease that I can go in there and be assured that I am safe,” says Porter.

Once she got inside, she noticed some other welcome changes to the store.

“After the shooting, it’s more open,” explains Porter, “you can see. Instead of seeing in one aisle, you can see four or five aisles.”

She says the presence of law enforcement, the smiling faces of team members, and the layout changes in-store set her up for a smooth return experience.

“They’ve done so much better to reassure their customers that they can actually come in and shop with no problem,” says Porter.

Other shoppers, like Owen Pfingston, were surprised there was such a crowd out here on the first day back.

“I thought I’d just run in and take care of it. I just wanted to take care of my bill,” says Pfingston.

Surprised? Sure, but happy to see things looking normal again.

“Everybody was shopping,” says Pfingston, “that’s what they’re supposed to do.”