EFD: At least 15 displaced after gas leak at Evansville apartment building

EFD: At least 15 displaced after gas leak at Evansville apartment building
Published: Dec. 20, 2022 at 8:19 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WFIE) - As people around the Tri-State prepare for the bitter cold coming later this week, those who live in one Evansville apartment building are preparing without any gas to their apartments.

Fire crews shut off the gas as part of their investigation into a gas leak. That means no heat and no hot water until the issue is resolved. It has the people here wondering how this happened.

On Tuesday night, the fire department arrived on the 900 block of West Illinois Street and shut down the block to investigate a gas leak.

“The fire department told me that this was one of the worst cases of a gas leak that they have seen in quite a while,” said resident Tyler Burns.

This wasn’t the first problem with gas leaks for those that live here. One resident said their gas was shut off about two weeks ago as well for the same reason, but someone kept turning it back on. This led to worrying effects on the health of those that live there.

“Everybody in here’s been having migraines, been nauseous, been sick for the last couple days,” said Burns.

On Tuesday night, the city stepped in. The American Red Cross was on site as well, giving away blankets and offering for residents to stay in a shelter, but all declined, preferring instead to brave the cold with blankets and space heaters.

Some people say their frustration is pointed at the landlord.

“That’s what our rent goes for, it’s for the utilities because it’s all utilities included,” said Burns. “He’s depriving us of our essential needs.”

The city building commissioner says that CenterPoint Energy has now removed the meters and will only replace them when the necessary repairs have been made. He also says they haven’t yet issued an order to vacate, but if they do, some residents say it would leave them without options.

“We’ll just have to live in our vehicle until he gets it fixed because we have no family, no friends down here to help us out,” said Burns.

We tried to contact the landlord and haven’t yet heard back.