Mt. Vernon Police Dept.: Woman arrested after stealing police car
MOUNT VERNON, Ind. (WFIE) - Posey County Central Dispatch confirms that a police car was stolen Sunday afternoon.
They say that happened just after 5 p.m.
According to the Mount Vernon Police Department, officers were called to the 500 block of East Water Street for a breaking and entering incident.
Officers say when they arrived on scene they found 26-year-old Samantha Billings inside the home, and arrested her.
MVPD chief Andy Rush says Billings was handcuffed behind her back and buckled into the back seat. While police returned to the home to search for anyone else inside, Billings was able to work her hands to the front of her body, manipulate the window on the police cruiser cage and get to the front seat.
Officers say they saw Billings drive off, and radioed for assistance to Posey County Sheriff’s Office and Indiana State Police.
According to officials, ISP was able to catch up to Billings after she crashed into a farm field.
Billings was arrested and booked into the Posey County Jail.
She is facing the following charges:
- Escape- Level 5 Felony
- Burglary- Level 6 Felony
- Possession of Methamphetamine- Level 6 Felony
- Possession of Paraphernalia- Level 6
- Theft of a Vehicle- Level 6 Felony
- Theft of a Firearm- Level 6 Felony
- Theft over $750- Level 6 Felony
- Operating While Intoxicated Endangerment (refusal)
- Criminal Recklessness- Level 6 Felony
- Resisting Law Enforcement in a vehicle- Level 6 Felony (2 counts)
Copyright 2022 WFIE. All rights reserved.