EFD: Candle causes small apartment fire on Brittany Ct.

Crews called to Evansville apartment fire
Updated: Jan. 20, 2021 at 5:33 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WFIE) - Firefighters say a candle caused a small fire at an Evansville apartment on Wednesday afternoon.

According to the Evansville Fire Department, the fire broke out in a second floor apartment at Diamond Valley Apartments on Brittany Court.

Firefighters say the resident had a candle burning on his dining table and thought he put it out. He was in another room when he smelled smoke.

EFD officials say after the resident went back into the kitchen area, he saw the table top on fire. After unsuccessfully trying to extinguish the flames, the resident called 911.

Fire crews say they had the fire contained in about 10 minutes.

No one was hurt, but the apartment suffered heavy smoke and heat damage.

Copyright 2021 WFIE. All rights reserved.