EFD: No one hurt in garage fire

EFD: No one hurt in garage fire

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WFIE) - The Evansville Fire Department says firefighters responded to a garage fire in the 2200 block of Van Bibber Avenue.

Firefighters responded to the fire just before 2:50 p.m. and extinguished the fire by 3:04 p.m.

EFD tells 14 News the garage and contents inside sustained extensive damage. They say an investigator determined the occupant was using a propane burner from a turkey fryer to heat the garage.

Fire officials say the fire started because the burner was too close to combustibles, such as clothing, and was left unattended.

We are told the fire is considered accidental and no injuries were reported.

EFD officials were asking the public to avoid the area while they were on scene.

Copyright 2020 WFIE. All rights reserved.