EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WFIE) - It’s now been 43 years since the tragic plane crash that claimed the lives of the University of Evansville men’s basketball team.
The accident happened on December 13, 1977, shortly after take-off on the way to a game scheduled at Middle Tennessee.
Memorials have since been erected across campus and at the Ford Center to pay tribute to everyone involved.
The individuals killed in the crash are named in the following:
- Seniors: Kevin Kingston, John Ed Washington and Marion Anthony “Tony” Winburn
- Juniors: Stephen Miller, Bryan Taylor
- Sophomores: Keith Moon
- Freshmen: Warren Alston, Ray Comandella, Mike Duff, Kraig Heckendorn, Michael Joyner, Barney Lewis, Greg Smith and Mark Siegel
- Student Athletic Trainer: Mark Kniese
- Student Managers: Jeff Bohnert and Mark “Tank” Kirkpatrick
- Coach and Administrators: Head Coach - Robert “Bobby” Watson UE Athletic Business Manager - Bob Hudson UE Comptroller - Charles Shike Sports Information Director - Gregory Knipping Radio announcer - Marvin “Marv” Bates
- Airplane crew: Pilot - Ty Van Pham Copilot - Gaston Ruiz Flight attendant - Pamela Smith
- Others: Jim Stewart, owner of the air taxi company that owned the plane, National Jet Services William “Bill” Hartford CEO and co-owner of National Jet Services
- David Furr was the remaining member of the team who did not make the trip; he and his brother were killed two weeks later in an auto accident