EFD: Accidental stove fire ignites inside Evansville apartment

Dispatch: Crews respond to 2nd alarm fire early Sat. morning

EFD: Accidental stove fire ignites inside Evansville apartment

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WFIE) - Fire officials responded to a fire that broke out at an apartment complex in Evansville on Saturday morning.

According to the Evansville Fire Department, crews were dispatched around 5:02 a.m. to Castlewood Apartments, which is located on the 4000 block of Spring Valley Road.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, officials say they saw flames coming out of a window in a second-floor apartment.

Crews determined the fire was caused when the person living in the apartment fell asleep with the stove on. Fire officials say the occupant woke up to an apartment filled with smoke and quickly left to alert neighbors.

A second fire alarm was called after tenants who were trapped on the balcony could not escape due to flames blocking their path. All occupants were able to get out safely and uninjured.

According to officials, firefighters contained the fire inside the apartment of origin, but flames were still able to reach the attic space.

Fire crews say that six apartments in total suffered water and smoke damage, while 11 residents may have been affected and possibly displaced.

Copyright 2020 WFIE. All rights reserved.