TELL CITY, Ind. (WFIE) - Officials say the cause of a large fire in downtown Tell City on Wednesday was an accident.
The fire was at the old Swiss Plywood building in the 200 block of Main Street.
Tell City Police tell us reports of this fire came in just after 11 a.m.
Several fire crews, police departments, and emergency medical services were on the scene. Police say the fire was very widespread and it started from the far south end of the building.
Police say this building is owned by the Tell City Port Authority, who had rented it out to council agencies. Plus, softball practices took place upstairs along with the archery club.
Those in Tell City couldn’t help but remember the history of what used to be the old Swiss Plywood building.
“It was going to be for the community, but it’s gone now though,” Tell City resident Riley Horton says.
Now, city officials say they are ready to start over and rebuild something better.
According to the Indiana State Fire Marshal, a worker was in the building when the fire started and reported a spark from a tool he was using ignited the fire. The worker was able to get out of the building and called 911.