Cause of deadly October fire determined

Cause of deadly October fire determined

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WFIE) - Officials with the Evansville Fire Department and the Fire Marshal’s Office say the deadly fire on Van Bibber Avenue was accidental, and caused by a cigarette.

It happened October 25 at a detached garage that was being used as an apartment.

Officials say 69-year-old Sandra Goings died of smoke inhalation, and there were no working smoke detectors.

Copyright 2019 WFIE. All rights reserved.