DAVIESS CO., Ky. (WFIE) - Owensboro police say crews have responded to several fires at vacant and abandoned properties recently.
Due to the recent cold weather, police say the fires may have been caused by people trying to stay warm.
Police say it’s extremely risky to start a fire indoors without proper ventilation. They say carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for numerous deaths across the country and is much more likely to occur during the winter months.
OPD is asking property owners to make sure their buildings are properly secured.
They are also asking everyone to report suspicious activity at any property they know to be vacant by calling the Owensboro Police Department at 270-687-8888.