Coroner: Henderson woman died of carbon monoxide poisoning

HFD: Carbon monoxide levels high in apartment where woman died
Published: Nov. 5, 2019 at 3:23 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HENDERSON, Ky. (WFIE) - Firefighters detected high levels of carbon monoxide inside of a home after a woman died and two children were found in “serious condition.”

According to the Henderson Fire Department, crews were called around 10 p.m. Saturday to North Elm Street “for a medical emergency.” The news release says firefighters found a woman and two children in the apartment.

We are told by the Henderson County Coroner’s Office the woman has been identified as Nancy Powell. They tell us preliminary autopsy reports show she did die of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Henderson Fire Department says Powell was pronounced dead at the scene while the children were taken to Methodist Hospital. The news release says the kids showed signs “consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning.”

While the source of the gas was not clear, firefighters determined a high level of carbon monoxide was in the air inside the home.

“Carbon monoxide poisoning deaths tend to increase in the winter but can happen year-round," the news release explains. "Carbon monoxide, or CO, has no odor, color or taste. CO poisoning symptoms include headache, dizziness, chest pain, vomiting, confusion and eventually unconsciousness.”

Kimberly Brady also lives at the complex. She says she was woken up and told to leave the building. She tells us that she had to stay at a friend’s house overnight.

“It was a scary feeling coming through me," Brady said. "And we just did what they said to do.”

According to the Henderson Fire Department, the current conditions of the hospitalized children are not being released.

As the investigation continues, the Henderson Fire Department is telling people to make sure they have working carbon monoxide detectors.

“Actually last night was the perfect time. When the time falls back or goes ahead, you check your carbon monoxide detectors, switch the batteries to make sure they’re working properly," said Lt. Josh Dixon.

Dixon also says as it gets cold, people start using gas to heat their homes.

“If you running gas appliances or furnaces, and those things, and that type of nature. Always call your local utility company - probably once a year. Have them come out, make sure everything is vented properly and that will help out tremendously.”

According to the National Safety Council, the main symptoms from Carbon Monoxide poisoning are headaches, shortness of breath, vomiting and loss of muscular coordination.

Copyright 2019 WFIE. All rights reserved.