HENDERSON, Ky. (WFIE) - Nine dogs are dead after a parvo outbreak at the Humane Society of Henderson County. They will be closed to the public, including owner surrenders and stray drop-offs, for the next 14 days.
Operations Manager Debbie Edwards said in a Facebook post that the parvovirus has been introduced into the building with animals presenting symptoms on Sunday. Edwards said they are monitoring and taking precautions to avoid further spreading of the highly contagious disease inside the shelter.
“The Parvo doesn’t necessarily kill the dog. It’s the symptoms because of it, so they get dehydrated, they don’t eat, they don’t drink,” explains Edwards.
Edwards says they have been using bleach, one of the few disinfectants known to kill the virus, inside and outside the shelter.
“We have feral cats out here that are wondering around, and if they’re contacting it and walking through it, we don’t want them spreading,” says Edwards. “We’re just trying to eliminate the spread, wherever it may be. We’re bleaching everything.”
Edwards said parvo is a particularly resilient virus and can survive indoors at room temperature for at least two months and is resistant to many commonly used cleaners and disinfectants. Outdoors, the parvovirus can survive for months, and even years, if protected from direct sunlight.
Edwards also stressed the importance of getting your animals up to date on shots, especially puppies.
If you suspect that you have come into contact with parvo at all, wash the affected area with household bleach.
Animal control will only be taking emergency intake. If you are interested in adopting an animal, please call to set up a time and location to meet the animal.