EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WFIE) - Everyone is safe after a fire at a Virginia Street home.
According to Evansville Central Dispatch, the fire was at a house in the 1100 block of E. Virginia Street. Fire officials told our team there everyone inside the home, including their two cats, managed to get out of the home unharmed.
“When crews arrived on scene today, the fire was mainly contained in the attic and although they put the fire out rather quickly, there was still a lot of work to do," said Tim Krack, District Chief, Evansville Fire Department.
He says the home had blown-in insulation and although it’s nonflammable when it burns, it can burn for long periods of time. Evansville Fire Department had to make sure they tore all of that insulation out.
“So, we have to basically dig out all of the insulation in the attic and the area of the fire. So basically the kitchen area and a little bit past it. We had to dig out all of the insulation. We had to pull the ceilings down in the kitchen area," said Krack.
Two adults, three children and two cats were all inside the home at the time of the fire. However, they all made it out of the home safely.
The Red Cross is providing assistance.