Crossville, IL home destroyed by fire

Crossville, IL home destroyed by fire

Crossville, IL (WFIE) - A family’s home was destroyed by fire in Crossville.

Officials at town hall tell us it broke out Wednesday morning at the corner of Potter Street and Route 1.

The Crossville Fire Department knew they would need some help. That’s why they called upon many nearby departments to help put out the blaze.

“Fire Service is a brotherhood, regardless of where the locations are, there are always brothers nearby that are going to respond and help each other out,” said Wadesville Fire Chief Stephen Williams.

Chief Williams' crew from Wadesville, along with Carmi, Little Wabash, Mount Carmel, New Harmony, Browns, Griffin all pitched in to help Crossville’s staff. After fighting the fire for hours, they were exhausted.

“From what we could tell, as soon as we arrived, we immediately acknowledged how well of a job Crossville did at stopping that getting any farther in that house and ensuring the safety of the family that everyone got out and was accounted for,” said Williams.

Crossville Fire officials tell us that a smoke woke the family around 2:30am and likely saved their lives. Firefighters had to exit the house and fight it from the exterior after an area of the floor fell through. They say the damage will likely result in a total loss.

“Well this morning is a great example, a family’s life is saved. It is a tremendous tragedy right here at the holidays but... they have each other and no lives here lost,” said Williams.

We’re told it appears to have started because of an electrical problem.

Copyright 2018 WFIE. All rights reserved.