When choosing a pet food, it really is not as hard as some pet food companies make it out to be. What is healthy for YOU is healthy for your pet! Whole meats, fresh fruits and vegetables, minimal grains for dogs, and no grains for cats is an optimal diet.
However, with today's busy lifestyles, most of us do not have the time to cook our own meals much less prepare our pets' food. The next best option is to feed a natural, holistic pet food.
The ingredients that are best will include:
- Meat Source - Any named meat or meal such Beef, Chicken, Herring, Lamb, Salmon, or Venison.
- Grain Source - Brown Rice, Barley, Oats, Millet, and Sweet Potatoes are preferred over Corn.
- Fruits/Vegetables - Whole or Organic fruits and vegetables are best. Just because a label has apples or tomatoes doesn't mean it is good in itself. There is a large difference between "apples" and "apple pomace": One is a whole fruit, the other is the waste product from juicing apples.
- Oils - Many good fats or oils are Chicken fat, Sunflower oil, and Salmon oil. These contain the needed Essential Fatty Acids Omega 3 and 6. Only natural preservatives should be used.
- Vitamins/Minerals - Vitamins A, C, E, Taurine (required for cats) and chelated minerals.
Avoid these ingredients:
- Unnamed Proteins and Fillers - by-products, meat and bone meal, dried egg product, and corn gluten meal.
- Undesirable Grains - Refined flours, mill runs, brewers rice, powders or cellulose which are more carbohydrates than needed.
- Undesirable Fruits/Vegetables - Beet pulp, pomaces.
- Undesirable Oils - Animal fat, poultry fat, vegetable oil. Avoid artificial preservatives BHA, BHT, and Ethoxyquin.
- Coloring - Carmel coloring or FD&C coloring.
We all want our pets to live a long, healthy life, and good nutrition is a great start. We at Pets 1st are committed to helping you help your pet do just that by offering only the healthiest food available. All food products feature:
- antibiotic-free, steroid-free, and hormone-free meat sources
- pesticide-free grain, fruit, and vegetable sources
- corn free