Your Maid of Honor should be your closest friend - many times, a bride will choose her sister. Some brides will choose to have both a Matron of Honor (a married woman) as well as a Maid of Honor (an unmarried woman). And some choose to have more than one Maid of Honor.
The main role of the Maid of Honor is to help the bride with the wedding planning. This can include shopping for dresses, addressing invitations, putting together favors and just being there when the bride needs some extra help, support or someone to talk to. Traditionally, there are some specific duties that the maid of honor is to perform, these include:
- Attending all prenuptial parties.
- Entertain a party for the bride and groom. A couple's shower or bachelorette party.
- Consider offering housing for out of town guests, if you have the appropriate living conditions.
- Assist bride with going away clothes and luggage.
- Be sure that bridesmaids are kept well aware of their fitting appointments, rehearsal obligations and any special duties that the bride may wish for them to do.
- Arrange with a florist for a supply of rose petals to shower on the bride and groom as they leave.
- Arrive at the church or home of the bride early enough to help with bride and bridesmaid's with dressing ( at least 2 hours early).
- Hold the bride's wedding bouquet for the exchange of rings during the ceremony and hand it back just before the recessional.
- In a double ring ceremony, carry the groom's ring until it is time to hand it to the minister. Assist the photographer with identification of the members of the bridal party and later for pictures, which are taken at the church and reception. . Be certain the photographer has taken an appropriate number of these candid shots.
- Witness and sign the marriage certificate after the ceremony.
- Stand in the receiving line. The traditional place to stand is at the groom's left side with her bridesmaids to her left.
- Give toast at both the rehearsal dinner and the reception- usually after the best man.
- Assist the bride when she is ready to change into here going away ensemble.
- With the best man, help the couple depart.
- See that the bride's gown is taken care of according to her wishes. Usually taken to the bride's home or to a cleaner.