EVANSVILLE, IN (WFIE) - Drivers headed to Evansville's east side better be prepared for some traffic delays.
The Vanderburgh County Engineer's office says the following lane closures will begin on Thursday, March 19 at Burkhardt Road and Virginia Street:
- Northbound Burkhardt will be reduced to one through lane between the Lloyd Expressway and Columbia Street
- Southbound Burkhardt will be reduced to one through lane between Columbia Street and the north driveway (next to the AT&T store) into the Best Buy shopping center
- The width of the lanes on Virginia Street will be reduced between Kimber Lane and Burkhardt Road, but no lanes will be closed.
- The width of the lanes on Virginia Street will be reduced east from Burkhardt to the Sam's Club/Wal-Mart driveways, but no lanes will be closed.
- The driveway east of IHOP will be closed, so there will be no access to Virginia Street at this location. Customers for these businesses will have to use the eastern Sam's Club driveway, or they will have to come from the north through the Columbia Street access.
Drivers are being encouraged to use alternate routes during the construction, such as Cross Pointe Boulevard to Virginia Street.
The county engineer's office says this initial phase of the project will last about 4 - 6 weeks.
Once the work is complete, traffic patterns will be changed once again.
As we reported last fall, the closures are part of a plan to extend the northbound left and right turn lanes at Virginia and Burkhardt.
The county is also going to add a right turn lane on to Columbia and will lengthen the right turn lane from Burkhardt on to Virginia.