EVANSVILLE, IN (WFIE) - With each winter comes a reminder to stay safe when you heat your home.
Vectren recommends having your furnace looked at by a professional and make sure fireplaces are properly ventilated.
Check the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
It's also important to take the proper precautions if you use space heaters.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, electric and kerosene heaters cause the most home fires during December, January and February.
To help prevent fires and carbon monoxide poisoning from space heaters, the NFPA has these tips:
- Install and use appliances according to the manufacturer's instructions
- Consider using space heaters with automatic shut-off capabilities
- Never use unvented gas or kerosene heaters in closed spaces, especially sleeping areas
- Don't use gas appliances such as an oven, range or clothes dryer to heat the home
- Leave a window cracked about an inch for ventilation and fresh air. Ventilation is important to keep fuel-burning space heaters from consuming too much oxygen in the house
- Do not leave a space heater on when you are not in the room or when you go to sleep and keep small children away from the unit at all times
- Electric space heaters should be checked for signs of fraying or splitting wires or overheating. Likewise, electric space heaters frequently cause fires by overloading electrical outlets
- Keep space heaters away from combustible materials/products.
- When selecting a space heater, look for one that has been tested and certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory. These heaters have been determined to meet specific safety standards, and manufacturers are required to provide important use and care information to the consumer