Cause of fire at west side Sonic determined

Fire at west side Sonic
Fire at west side Sonic

EVANSVILLE, IN (WFIE) - Investigators say a Thursday morning fire at the Sonic on Evansville's west side originated in a plastic trash can.

They say the fire was caused by a chemical reaction from rags used to clean the grill that were put into the trash can.

Since the Sonic was closed at the time of the fire, no employees were inside.

The restaurant will be closed until further notice.

Copyright 2014 WFIE. All rights reserved.