Feds say no plans to house immigrant children at Ft. Knox, despi - 14 News, WFIE, Evansville, Henderson, Owensboro

Feds say no plans to house immigrant children at Ft. Knox, despite comments from Sen. Paul

Posted: Updated:
U.S. Senator Rand Paul disclosed immigrant children may be sent to the Army post during opening remarks at Kentucky Chamber Business Summit. (Source: WAVE 3 News) U.S. Senator Rand Paul disclosed immigrant children may be sent to the Army post during opening remarks at Kentucky Chamber Business Summit. (Source: WAVE 3 News)
LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - After U.S. Senator Rand Paul touched off a frenzied back and forth between federal officials Monday afternoon, there does seem to be a final word: There are no plans to house undocumented immigrant children at Ft. Knox. 

While taking questions from reporters after his remarks at the Kentucky Chamber Business Summit Monday, Sen. Paul seemed to indicate that some of the thousands of children currently in custody along the U.S.-Mexico border could be headed to the Army post in Kentucky.

"Right now the border is completely wide open. Anybody can walk across. And in fact, we've made it so that if you walk across and you're not from Mexico they're actually sending, we've made it so that they're going to be shipping them to Fort Knox. Some of them to Fort Knox," Sen. Paul said.

Lt. Col. Tom Crosson, a spokesman for the U.S. Department of Defense, confirmed to WAVE 3 News the post did offer to potentially house unaccompanied migrant children.

"The facility has been identified for potential use. It's not available until September," Lt. Col. Tom Crosson said.

The post is currently being used for Reserve Officer Training Corps training, according to Lt. Col. Tom Crosson.

The DOD spokesman said the army may reconnect with the Department of Health and Human Services and determine if additional space is needed in September.

However, Rep. John Yarmuth's office sent a statement discrediting that information:

"The Department of Health and Human Services makes the final decision on which facilities to use to house these kids. HHS confirmed to Congressman Yarmuth’s office today that Fort Knox is not under consideration. The Department of Defense previously submitted Fort Knox to HHS as part of a list of possible locations with the capacity to house the kids. But again, that decision is left to HHS, which has confirmed it is not considering Fort Knox."

Responding to a request from WAVE 3 News, an HHS spokesperson initially said the agency had "no information to share" about Ft. Knox.   A short time later, the spokesperson sent an additional email that seemed to line up with the information coming from Yarmuth's office:

"I can add to the below by stating HHS’ Administration for Children and Families has no plans to use Fort Knox as a temporary Unaccompanied Alien Children program shelter."

WAVE 3 News will provide continuing coverage surrounding developments at the Army post.

Copyright 2014 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.
Powered by WorldNow