A Tri-State woman is facing a much brighter future thanks to a local healthcare facility. Just weeks ago, she was in the hospital and homeless after what happened in an apartment next door to hers.
85-year-old Elizabeth, or Mickey, Tray was in a hospital bed when we first shared her story, barely able to talk or feed herself. She was sick and emotional after her family says a hazmat team told her her apartment wasn't livable because it was too toxic.
Her next-door neighbor had died and that had created a maggot and fly infestation.
However, soon after our story about her situation aired, the family says Transcendent Healthcare of Owensville showed up at the hospital.
"They wanted to do all they could to help my grandma, and that was so, so good to hear after everything we'd been through that someone out there really did care about her," Megan Stransky, Mickey's granddaughter, said.
They offered Mickey a private room at their center and let family decorate her room with pictures and belongings.
"They just are wonderful people," Mickey said.
Mickey has been going through physical rehabilitation to get her strength back and is not only talking, but laughing and smiling.
Mickey's family says it's an amazing feat, and those working at Transcendent say she's been wonderful and is progressing every day.
"We're very pleased with her progress and just thankful that we're able to help," Kim Davis, with Transcendent Healthcare, said.
Mickey's family says once she's strong enough, they'll be moving her into an apartment that's handicap accessible, and she'll continue to go to Transcendent for rehab.
Her old apartment lease has since been severed. The company that owns the complex hasn't commented on the situation.
Copyright 2014 WFIE. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: