CAPE to offer crisis utility assistance despite limited funding

CAPE to offer crisis utility assistance despite limited funding

EVANSVILLE, IN (WFIE) - After a few uncertain weeks, the Community Action Program of Evansville is now providing utility assistance for some families in crisis this summer.

People living in Vanderburgh, Posey and Gibson counties who meet certain eligibility criteria can receive up to $200 in utility assistance.

Less than a month ago, CAPE announced they would not be able to provide their Summer Cooling Assistance because there wasn't enough money from the state of Indiana to fund the program.

The state provided more money than usual to help people with bills during the unusually harsh winter and very little was leftover for the cooling assistance programs.

With the warm weather over the past few weeks though, CAPE felt they had to do something to help those on the verge of being disconnected.

CAPE Energy Assistance Coordinator Cynthia Balde says with bills still piling up from the winter, some families don't have anything left to pay their latest bills with.

Available funds are limited, so anyone needing help with their electric bills is urged to call the CAPE office to make an appointment as soon as possible by calling 812-425-4241.

Households must meet the established program guidelines and show proof of the following:

  • Proof of annual gross household income for the past twelve months; household of 1 = $17,505.00; household of 2 = $23,595.00; household of 3 = $29,685.00 ; household of 4 = $35,775.00.  Proof of income consists of a printout from the local WorkOne office for the past 12 months and the most recent check stub.  Social Security award letters for 2013 and 2014 or bank statements can serve as proof of Social Security or other retirement.  No proof of child support is required.
  • Current utility bill stating it is a disconnect notice
  • Social Security cards for all household members
  • Any household who rents must provide a copy of their current lease signed by both landlord and tenant. ( Cannot be expired)
  • Utility bill must be in the name of a current household member age 18 years or older or the landlord
  • Household cannot be receiving Housing Choice (Section 8) voucher or live in income based housing
  • CAPE funds are limited; Customer must provide a receipt stating any disconnect amount above $200 has been paid
CAPE offices are located at 401 S.E. 6th Street  Suite 001 in Evansville.  The entrance is on the Cherry Street side of the building.

Copyright 2014 WFIE. All rights reserved.