A tree trimmer was electrocuted Monday outside a Parkville home, firefighters said.
The Southern Platte Fire Protection District was called just before 9 a.m. Firefighters said a crew of three was working in the 6500 block of Northwest Rock Garden Road near Highway 9.
The homeowner said she hired the crew of three from Eli's Tree Trimming Service to take down limbs on a large tree.
Parkville police say the man's buckstrap used to hold him in got loose from him. A metal piece on that strap hit a live wire with 7,600 volts going through it.
The 34-year-old tree trimmer died instantly while still strapped to the limbs up above. He was identified as Carlos Enrique Gomez-Escobar.
Police say this was a tragic warning to others that utility companies do offer a service where crews will turn off power lines before any kind of work near them is done.
"The line was really close. People should call (Kansas City) Power and Light when they're going to do this. They have a service that they will make that line safe," Parkville Police Chief Kevin Chrisman said.
Authorities have concluded it was a tragic accident.
"It appears at this time that some type of strap he used to control himself in the tree for safety reasons had come undone," Chrisman said. "The metal part of it hit the live power line."
KCTV5 tried to reach officials with the tree trimming company but was unsuccessful.
Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: