LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Jefferson County Public Schools have gone one step further in their mission to ensure no child goes hungry over summer break. On Wednesday, the district's nutrition services department rolled out its Bus Stop Cafe for the summer season.
The Bus Stop Cafe is not your typical school bus - not only does it come equipped with a cooler and lunch tables, it also comes with the manpower needed to fend off hunger.
Outside the Fairdale Pool at Nelson Hornbeck Park, children quickly loaded onto the cafeteria on wheels Wednesday afternoon.
"We just come in, roll the bus in, let the kids eat on the bus and they love it," said Christina Ashley, a JCPS Summer Food Service Supervisor.
Ashley said Wednesday alone, the four person Bus Stop Cafe crew would make nearly a half dozen stops, all to put packaged meals in the hands and stomachs of children throughout the Metro.
"It feels great," began Ashley. "Some parents struggle and the kids, they just like coming on the bus. They think it's cool."
"We are stopping at several mobile home parks and several public pools," said JCPS School and Community Nutrition Services Director Julia Bauscher.
According to Bauscher, the Bus Stop cafe is an extension of JCPS' participation in the federal Summer Food Service which provides free breakfast and lunch to anyone ages 18 and under at more than 70 local schools. The cafeteria on wheels provide meals to students and non-students throughout the city.
"It's often intimidating for kids to return to school in the summer when they want to be out playing with their friends," began Bauscher. "So, taking the bus stop cafe to their neighborhoods and their swimming pools has been a wonderful opportunity."
Through the CafeStop Cafe, district leaders hope to fend off hunger one meal at a time by sticking to the program's motto of providing "food that's in when school is out."
Bauscher said the district hopes to roll out a second Bus Stop Cafe by the end of June. In the meantime, the district is utilizing a food delivery truck to cover a second Bus Stop Cafe route.
The Bus Stop cafe makes daily stops at the following locations:
- Algonquin Pool, located at 1614 Cypress Street, from 3:20 to 4 p.m.
- Ashley Pointe Community, located at 1115 Penile Road, from 1:15 to 1:45 p.m.
- Autumn Lake Mobile Home Park, located at 2801 Autumn Lake Drive, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Fairdale Pool, located at 709 Fairdale Road, from 12:30 to 1 p.m.
- Holiday Park Mobile Home Park, located at 8219 Minors Lane from 10:45 to 11:30 a.m.
- JSK Properties, located at 6420 McCandless Circle, from 10:45 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
- Scenic Acres Mobile Home Park, located at 7511 Cane Run Road, from 2 to 2:45 p.m.
- Southland Mobile Home Park, located at 401 Outer Loop from 11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
- Sun Valley Pool, located at 6506 Bethany Lane, from 2:30 to 3 p.m.
- River Oaks Mobile Home Park, located at 3416 Kramers Lane, from 3 to 3:45 p.m.
For a list of JCPS Summer Food Service Sites, click here.
Copyright 2014 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: