LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - A utility company employee driving through the California neighborhood alerted a man that his house was on fire.
The fire broke out around 11:10 a.m. in 1700 block of West Kentucky Street just off Dixie Highway. Fire crews, who arrived on scene in two minutes, found a heavy volume of fire coming from the two story house.
Captain Sal Melendez, public information officer for the Louisville Fire Department, said the house was currently unoccupied, but its owner was doing some work on the home when the fire started.
After spotting the fire, Melendez said the LG&E meter reader tried to see if anyone was home. He was able to alert the homeowner and get him out of the building.
Melendez said the cause of the fire appears to be accidental. The homeowner was using a grinder powered by a gas generator to cut through metal pipes on the second floor.
The homeowner was treated on the scene for smoke inhalation.
A family of four was home in the neighboring house, but got out safely. Their home suffered minor exterior damage.
Copyright 2014 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: