The deadly fire started around 7:30 a.m. EDT Friday morning.
The house is located in the gated Christmas Lake Village community.
SANTA CLAUS, IN (WAVE/WFIE) - The names of the husband and wife who were involved in a Friday morning house fire in a gated Santa Claus, Indiana community have been identified.
The Spencer County Coroner said Bryan Gregory was killed in the fire. Maureen Gregory was flown to University of Louisville Hospital with potentially life-threatening first-degree burns on her face.
According to Indiana State Police, Maureen Gregory, who is disabled, accidentally started the fire when she dropped a cigarette she was smoking. She was unable to bend down to pick up the cigarette or put out the flames.
Dispatchers said the home in the 900 block of South Snow Ball Lane in Christmas Lake Village was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived shortly after 7:30 EDT Friday morning.