LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – Here are 10 things Kentuckiana will be talking about today:
1. Weather - Meteorologist Christie Dutton with the WAVE 3 News Storm Tracking Team says temperatures continue to warm up as we head into the weekend. It will be a beautiful holiday weekend with plenty of sunshine and warm weather. Our next chance of storms will be on Monday.
2. Hit and Run – Edward Pearce is charged with murder and DUI in the hit and run death of a 5-year-old boy. The child was struck near the 5500 block of Grandel Boulevard around 7 p.m. yesterday and died an hour later at Kosair's Children's Hospital.
3. Police on buses – TARC says that more police officers have been assigned to provide security on buses. TARC is also considering adding officers at bus stops, but has not yet said how it will pay for additional security.
4. Vehicle break-ins – Police are advising people to hide valuables in their trunks after spotting a woman breaking into cars, stealing credit cards and going on shopping sprees. The woman, caught on surveillance video, often targets cars in parks or church parking lots.
5. Good Friday – Today is Good Friday, a holy day for many Christians. Some government offices, banks, etc. are closed or will close early.
6. Milton-Madison Bridge – The Milton-Madison Bridge is open. The half-mile bridge was slid 55 feet from temporary supports onto refurbished piers last week and reopened to traffic last night at 7:20 p.m.
7. Big Four Bridge – The Indiana ramp to the Big Four Bridge will not open on Derby week as previously planned. INDOT said the temporary lighting installed on the bridge was not enough. Manufacturing problems have plagued the permanent lighting plans.
8. KDF Marathon – The Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon and miniMarathon will both take place tomorrow. Some roads will be closed as early as 9 a.m. this morning. Click here for more traffic information.
9. 50 to 1 opens – The film depicting Mine That Bird's unlikely win at the 2009 Kentucky Derby is opening in theaters across Kentucky and Indiana today.
10. Corvette donation – A Louisville woman is donating her Corvette to replace one that fell into the sinkhole at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green. Lynda Patterson said that she and her husband decided twenty years ago to donate their "Ruby," but she made it official yesterday.
Click here to subscribe to breaking news and weather alerts, including school closing alerts for your particular district, and watch WAVE 3 News Sunrise for all the morning's top stories weekdays beginning at 4:30 a.m. You can also register to receive Sunrise to Go on your mobile device by visiting our Preference Center atWAVE3.com.
Copyright 2014 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: