Good Samaritan shot while trying to stop robbery never got money - Tri-State News, Weather & Sports

1 Year Later

Good Samaritan, shot while trying to stop robbery, never got fund money


A Good Samaritan shot six times trying to stop a robbery says he never got a penny from a fund set up in his name.

It's been a year and Yousaf Haroon still doesn't know how much was raised or where that money even went. Despite that, he continues to see the positives in life.

Haroon is now a proud father, but he almost didn't see his baby boy born. One year ago in April he almost died in the parking lot of the Food Shop convenience store trying to stop a purse snatcher.

On April 10, 2013 police rushed to the store's parking lot as Haroon gasped for air. A robber shot him in his chest, multiple times in his stomach and once in his leg when he tried to help a woman being robbed.

"She asked me ‘think about your babies. You have to live. You don't have to die.' At that time I thought about my expected son and that made me strong," Haroon said.

The decision to put his life in danger for a stranger inspired a customer to open a donation account.

"We need to step up to the plate and come to this man's aid because he came to someone else's aid and almost lost his life," Veronica Coleman said in an interview last April.

Haroon said he tried to ask Coleman about the fund, but never got an answer. KCTV5 tried contacting her numerous times too, but she never returned our call.

"I called the bank to ask about the bank account in my name. They said no such kind of bank account exists," Haroon said.

The working father could have used all the help he could get.

"I did not get anything. Still I owe the hospital department $238,000," he said.

Two surgeries and hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills later, Haroon says he'd step up for the stranger again. He still walks around with one of the bullets lodged inside his body.

This man who survived six gunshot wounds isn't concerned about an investigation into the missing money.

"We as a Muslim, we have a faith that whatever is written in your luck you will receive that. So that was not in my luck. So whoever has it. he got it," Haroon said.

After the shooting, friends also put a jar for donations inside the store, but a customer came in and snatched it.

Despite the violent attack and missing money, Haroon said he'd help a stranger in danger again without giving it a second thought.

While he survived, activist M.D. Alam says many convenience store clerks do not.

"I'm sorry but it's happening every day. Crime needs to stop in Kansas City. Violence is high, it is going out of control," Alam said.

Alam started his push for more security for convenience store clerks after his friend Tony Singh died while working one of two jobs.

"I lost another friend of mine in a gas station. He was shot to death. He was dead inside at the counter," he said.

He's been working even harder for change since Haroon was shot. Alam urged lawmakers to pass Tony's Bill, named after his friend who died. Tony's Bill asked lawmakers to require convenience stores to put up bulletproof glass around the cash register areas and have at least two people on duty during late or overnight hours.

Murad A. Jones, the man who shot Haroon, entered a guilty plea on Nov. 25 and is serving a 20-year prison sentence.

Update: Three days after this story first aired, KCTV5 was contacted by Coleman via email. In it she explains that she had talked to Haroon and explained that she was unable to set up a donation account at the bank because she didn't get a tax ID number until two months after applying for it and didn't get help from the bank.

She said she did receive a $5 donation the day KCTV5's story on Haroon originally aired and she put that in the jar that was later stolen.

Coleman also said she was unable to reply to KCTV5's numerous calls because she was going through a surgery.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.)  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly