Owens freshman copes with loss of parents through baseball - Tri-State News, Weather & Sports

Owens freshman copes with loss of parents through baseball

PERRYSBURG TOWNSHIP, OH (Toledo News Now) -

As a walk-on freshman to the Owens Community College baseball team Michael Finch had a lot of his plate: adjusting to life away from home, college classes and baseball at a new level.

But, all of that was easy compared to the bombshell that was dropped on him as he returned to school after Christmas break. His mother had been recently diagnosed with cancer and as she began chemotherapy. He received a phone call from his sister that he'll never forget.

"My sister contacted me a week after I'd been here and she said 'Michael, you should come home,' mom's back in the hospital. I didn't really think much of it. I thought she was just scared that she was in the hospital but I did end up coming and when I got there it wasn't looking too good and she passed away that night," said Finch.

The news of his mom's passing was a difficult blow, but less than 2 months later he got word that his dad had fallen in their home and passed away. The 19-year-old was left to pick up the pieces while looking after his 16-year-old sister.

"I just want to make sure that before I'm settled, I want to make sure my sister is 100% ready for whatever she has to take on," said Finch.

Baseball has become his escape, his way to get away from the tragic loss of both of his parents in a 6-week span.

"I think this is definitely his source of a stress reliever and his way to occupy his mind to keep from thinking about being a grown up at such a young age," said coach Devin Taylor.

"Baseball is just a place I know my mom and dad are gonna be happy with me. They both supported me with baseball since I was 3-years-old in the backyard with my dad. My mom was a huge fan of baseball. They both looked forward to this year, coming to see me play so I know when I'm here, I'm making them happy," said Finch.

Visit http://www.gofundme.com/7fhyrc to help support Michael and his sister.

Mobile users, click on the "video" button in the app to watch this story. Download our app here.

Copyright 2014 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.

• 14 WFIE, The Tri-State's News LeaderMore>>

CONNECT WITH US

LIKE us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter -  Get Text & Email Alerts - Download our Apps - Send us photos & videoMore >>
  • LOCALMore>>

Vanderburgh Humane Society's benefit dinner a success

Saturday, April 29 2017 11:29 PM EDT2017-04-30 03:29:55 GMT
    (Source: Vanderburgh Humane Society)(Source: Vanderburgh Humane Society)

It's the biggest fund raising event for a humane society in Southern Indiana. On Saturday, hundreds took part in the Vanderburgh Humane Society's twenty-second annual Going, Going, Gone to the Dogs! Benefit Dinner & Auction.

More >>

Flooding, road closures throughout Tri-State after morning rain

Saturday, April 29 2017 11:21 PM EDT2017-04-30 03:21:58 GMT
    Photo sent in by Chris Lee, showing the water over Baseline/Old Petersburg Road. (WFIE)Photo sent in by Chris Lee, showing the water over Baseline/Old Petersburg Road. (WFIE)

Your weekend plans could be in jeopardy after large amounts of rain caused flooding in some Tri-State areas.

Madisonville City Administrator retires

Saturday, April 29 2017 10:01 PM EDT2017-04-30 02:01:28 GMT
    (WFIE)(WFIE)

A household name in Madisonville City Government is calling it a career. City administrator Chuck Shockley is retiring after spending 27 years working for the city.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

Thursday, April 27 2017 12:17 AM EDT2017-04-27 04:17:43 GMT
    Friday, April 28 2017 11:32 PM EDT2017-04-29 03:32:02 GMT
    Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children.

More >>

William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children.

More >>

Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction.  She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.

More >>

One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction. She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.

More >>

Teen with cerebral palsy denied prom tickets

Friday, April 28 2017 10:36 PM EDT2017-04-29 02:36:27 GMT
    Friday, April 28 2017 11:00 PM EDT2017-04-29 03:00:47 GMT
    Ashley Hamblin already has her dress picked out, but may not be able to wear it. (WSMV)Ashley Hamblin already has her dress picked out, but may not be able to wear it. (WSMV)

She has her dress, her date, and an extensive hair and makeup plan. It’s all in anticipation of her high school prom, but a Middle Tennessee teen was denied tickets.

Powered by Frankly