LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Here are ten things Kentuckiana will be talking about today:
1. Warmer weather brings storms – Ryan Hoke of the WAVE 3 Storm Tracking Team says after some light showers this morning it will be mainly cloudy and windy with temperatures topping out near 60. Click to find out if you can expect any more rain this weekend.
2. Churchill Downs has largest outdoor H-D Video board – More than two thousand additional fans will be able to see action at Churchill Downs. The historic track is pouring more than $26 million into new seats, updated restrooms, wagering windows, food venues and the Big Board. The Big Board is expected to be finished within the next two weeks.
3. UofL and UK sold out – Tickets to the Sweet Sixteen match between University of Louisville and University of Kentucky are sold out. The NCAA said more than 40 thousand people will attend the game Friday. WAVE 3 team coverage will continue from Indianapolis tonight at 6 with Kent Taylor covering the Cards and Kendrick Haskins cover the Cats.
4. Check your tickets – The NCAA says you should double check your tickets before buying them if going to the game this weekend. High profile games like the NCAA tournament are prime targets for scammers selling counterfeit tickets. Undercover operations will be enforced at Lucas Oil Stadium this weekend in an effort to cut down on unlicensed ticket sales.
5. Kentucky Derby Festival Spring Fashion Show – Tonight models will sport outfits and accessories from Macy's and area boutiques. The event will start tonight at Horseshoe Casino with Cocktails and shopping at 5:30. Dinner will start at 7 p.m. and the runway show will start at 8 p.m. For a complete list of Kentucky Derby Festival events and times go to WAVE 3.
6. Sinkhole progress – Five cars have been removed as crews at the National Corvette Museum have started to vacuum dirt and remove concrete out of the sinkhole. They hope the removal will uncover two cars they have yet to see and get closer to recovering the one they have only been able to see part of. It could take up to 8 weeks to remove all the dirt and concrete from the hole.
7. Bridge open house – The public will be able to get a progress report on the downtown crossing project at 5 p.m. in the Mellwood Art Center today. Residents will learn more about upcoming work on the downtown crossing, find out about traffic impacts and ask questions. Representatives from the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet and Walsh Construction will be at the event.
8. Open practice – If you can't find tickets in the game you can still watch your team in Indianapolis today. All four team competing for a sport the in Elite 8 will take the court today. University of Kentucky will be on the court from 1 p.m. until 1:50 p.m. University of Louisville will practice from 3:10 till 4 p.m. All of today's practices are open to the public free of charge.
9. Permanent fan – There are many true fans but one UK fan has made it permanent. The fan has already crowned UK this year's National Champions with a tattoo. Go to WAVE 3.com to find out more on the story.
10. Officials don't agree with police chief – City officials don't agree with Louisville's Police Chief Steve Conrad over his plans to combat mob violence. Chief Conrad said he doesn't plan to hire extra officers but he does plan to pass the overtime budget in the next three months. Metro Councilman Kevin Kramer said the council has insisted for years the police department increased staffing.
Click here to subscribe to breaking news and weather alerts, including school closing alerts for your particular district, and watch WAVE 3 News Sunrise for all the morning's top stories weekdays beginning at 4:30 a.m. You can also register to receive Sunrise to Go on your mobile device by visiting our Preference Center at WAVE3.com.
Copyright 2014 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: