Crews with the Evansville Fire Department were called to 1708 Zoar Avenue around 11:15 Tuesday night.
Officials tell 14 News officers with the Evansville Police Department were the first on scene and called the fire department after seeing flames coming from the house.
The home where the fire started, authorities say, is a complete loss. Family and friends were at the site throughout the day, digging through the debris and trying to salvage what they can.
Fire investigators say they believe it started when an ash tray left on the front porch caught the vinyl siding on fire and those flames quickly spread into the attic.
Fire officials say the winds last night caused the flames to spread two neighboring homes, but we're told damages to those homes are minor.
All three families were able to get out safely. One neighbor tells us everything happened so fast. Now she's asking that the community help the family who has lost everything.
"It was hectic. They thought nothing except about the neighbors next to them. They were worried about them. They've been nothing but good neighbors to us. It's a young couple with children. To lose everything, you don't understand what it's like until it happens. You have nothing. You don't have wash rags, you don't have underwear, you don't have anything for children," says Lynn Davis.
Copyright 2014 WFIE. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: