Family members said Michael Cothran gave his life while trying to save his 9-year-old son Dylan.
Both Cothrans died in a fire at their family's home on Shehan Drive in Spartanburg County in the early morning hours of Jan. 26.
Family members said the fire spread quickly, and had it not been for Dylan yelling to wake everyone up, all five family members would likely have died.
Cascie Stapleton said getting the call that her brother and dad had died was devastating.
"It's hard. We are trying to pull through it," Stapleton said.
Stapleton said Michael Cothran tried reaching Dylan, who was on the second floor of the home when the fire erupted.
"According to where they found his body, the carbon monoxide and smoke got to him before he even made it up the stairs," Stapleton said.
Stapleton said her dad was a youth baseball coach and ran his own business, and her brother was a fourth-grader at Carlisle Foster's Grove Elementary who also loved baseball.
Stapleton said the community has stepped up to help the surviving members of the Cothran family who lost everything in the fire. A Facebook page named Prayers and Support for Drew and the Cothran Family has been set up to support the family, and fundraisers are also being held.
"I can't begin to tell you how awesome they've (the community) been," Stapleton said.
A fundraiser is planned for Tuesday at Capri's in Boiling Springs from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Ten percent of sales will go to the family, and donations will also be accepted. T-shirts honoring Michael and Dylan will also be sold.
The Carolina Wrestling Alliance is also planning a fundraising event on March 8 at the Una Fire Department. Tickets to the charity wrestling match are $5, and all proceeds go to the Cothran family.
Copyright 2014 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Evansville, IN 47720