Firefighters say space heater caused Posey Co. fire - 14 News, WFIE, Evansville, Henderson, Owensboro

Firefighters say space heater caused Posey Co. fire

Posted: Updated:
POSEY CO., IN (WFIE) -

Fire officials say a space heater is the cause of a house fire in Posey County.

It happened before just before 4 a.m. Monday in the 300 block of 8th Street in Mt. Vernon.

Firefighters tell us a space heater was plugged into an electrical outlet and it overheated. They say the fire began behind the wall and then moved up toward attic.

Mt. Vernon Fire Chief Wes Dixon urges caution when using space heaters.

"Caution should be the word of the day," said Dixon. "This is what can happened when one is plugged in too long or if it's plugged in with other items on an outlet. So be careful," he said.

Chief Dixon says an elderly woman was taken to the hospital after saying she was having trouble breathing.

Copyright 2014 WFIE. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow