IKEA recalls children's lamps after choking death - 14 News, WFIE, Evansville, Henderson, Owensboro

IKEA recalls children's lamps after choking death

Posted: Updated:

 IKEA is recalling millions of children's lamps following the death of a child who choked on the lamp's cord and another was injured.

 The "SMILA" series wall-mounted children's lamps were sold at IKEA from 1999 through 2013 for $10 to $13. There were 2.9 million of the recalled lamps sold in the U.S. and 1.1 million sold in Canada. A total of 23 million were sold worldwide.

 Consumers should stop using the lamp and contact IKEA for a free repair kit to attach the cord to the wall.

 In the fatal case, a 16-month-old child died after getting entangled in the lamp's cord. Additionally, a 15-month-old child became entangled in the lamp's cord and nearly strangled. In both cases, the lamp cord was pulled into the crib by the infants.

 For more information: IKEA can be called at (888) 966-4532 or online at www.ikea-usa.com. Click on the "Recall" link at the top of the page.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Powered by WorldNow