Students at one York County high school got quite a scare Monday morning when a school resource officer's gun accidentally fired.
No students were hurt in the incident. Sheriff officials say they're going to conduct a thorough investigation of how that deputy's Glock 22 accidentally fired.
Sky 3 flew over York Comprehensive High School early Monday morning after Sheriff Officials say Deputy Dave Prescott's Glock accidentally fired while in his holster.
The incident happened around 7:30 at a popular hangout spot on campus for students called Cougar Plaza.
Investigators say nearly 20 students were nearby when the gun went off. The bullet lodged into the sidewalk.
Investigators say this is very unusual.
"This incident is puzzling. It's an abnormal event that we intend to find the answers to," said Major Robby Hudgins with the York County Sheriff's Office.
WBTV spoke with several people who were shocked to hear today's news.
"Wow… That's something. I just can't believe it," said Ray Vicario.
"Accidents do happen, but that's something that shouldn't have happened," said Eddie Deal.
We even ran into one parent who says he knows the deputy and believes he's a great guy.
"He's a fine gentleman and an upstanding man. He's devoted his career and life to the safety of these kids," said parent Jim Miller.
Miller says Deputy Prescott recently helped his sophomore daughter after a car accident not too far from the school and says he was stunned when he heard the news.
"I can't imagine what he's going through right now, knowing the pride he has with the students here."
Deputy Prescott has been the school's resource officer for the past eight years. He's been placed on administrative leave with pay pending the outcome of the investigation.
York County Sheriff Officials tell us the last time a firearm was discharge by a school resource officer was April of 2012 during a training procedure.
Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: