Boonville Fire Chief says gas leak caused house explosion - 14 News, WFIE, Evansville, Henderson, Owensboro

Boonville Fire Chief says gas leak caused house explosion

Posted: Updated:
BOONVILLE, IN (WFIE) -

Investigators blame a gas leak for blowing up a house in Boonville.

Pat Leisring lived in the 2600 block of Eby Rd. in Boonville.

Neighbors tell 14 News that it sounded like a bomb went out just before 4 a.m. on Friday.

Leisring is in the hospital and doing fine, but his house is a total loss.

Pat Ingram has lived next door to David's home for over 50 years and says she hasn't seen anything like this.

"It was just a big boom," said Pat. "In fact, it knocked me off the bed, and I ran downstairs to the back door and my grandson was running up the driveway."

Pat's grandson, James, heard David screaming from inside his home.

Pat says James ran across the driveway and pulled David out of the house to safety.

"I think my grandson must have went through the window to get him out because the front part of the house was just devastated," said Pat.

Boonville Assistant Fire Chief, Steven Byer, says gas filled the basement and that anything could've ignited the explosion.

"With gas appliances, electrical appliances, there's no telling," said Steven. "We're going to have to dig a little deeper and see if we can determine exactly where it started."

Regardless of what caused it, the house is a total loss.

Pat says David's family has owned the house for a very long time and she's sad to see it go.

"I just pray that he gets well and can come back because 50 years is a long time to be with people," said Pat.

Miraculously, the house did not catch on fire.

Neighbors reported seeing a large fireball shoot in the air from the explosion, but fire officials say the force of the explosion must have been so great, it snuffed out the flames.

Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow