Firefighters battle Henderson house fire - 14 News, WFIE, Evansville, Henderson, Owensboro

Two families without homes after Henderson apartment fire

Posted: Updated:

Two families are without a home Monday night after their apartment caught fire.

The blaze was first reported about 9:30 a.m. on South Elm Street and took hours to put out.

Firefighters say it started in an upstairs apartment. A neighbor in the apartment below, says she was inside when the fire broke and she says the smoke detectors never went off.

She says it was the hot weather that woke her up.

"I got up cause it was hot. The air conditioning wasn't working and it's right beside my bed. I got up and when I got ready to go in the hall and into the bathroom, I saw smoke. It hit me in the face. I got the dog out, and my daughter. He had went into his pet taxi, it scared him. Any other time you open up the door and he'd run out, but he wasn't going anywhere," Neta Benningfield said. 

The fire department says an electrical problem in an apartment undergoing renovations caused the fire.

No one was hurt, but one firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion. Officials tell us he's okay.

Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow