Ind. official warns of fireworks dangers to kids

The Indiana State Fire Marshal's Office says about 40 percent of all fireworks injuries happen to children younger than 15.
State Fire Marshal Jim Greeson urged caution with the Independence Day holiday this week to prevent injuries, especially among children.
He says even seemingly harmless fireworks can cause injuries. He says sparklers burn at about 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. That's 300 degrees hotter than the temperature at which glass melts.
Greeson says glow sticks make an excellent alternative to sparklers, especially for young children and can be bought at many stores.
Greeson says it's good to have a fire extinguisher, hose, bucket of water or other water source nearby when lighting fireworks.

(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)