Authorities say the child swallowed sulfuric acid drain opener, which is also known as liquid fire and used to make meth.
"I just thought, 'Oh my God, they finally, they did it, and she's probably not going to make it'," says Amanda Stone, a cousin to the child.
Those were the first thoughts that Stone says rushed through her mind when she first heard the news.
"If they can't take care of her, and she had to be flown to Kosair's, I knew it was serious," Stone says.
Detectives say the girl was originally taken to Owensboro Health with burns to her lips, mouth, tongue, and esophagus.
"When they said that she had ingested something and had blisters around her mouth, we figured that she had been thirsty and had drank something related to meth," Stone says.
According to the sheriff's office, Arroyo and McStoots waited nearly six hours before taking the child to the hospital.
"This is the first I've ever worked. I'm sure it's happened in other places," says Detective Timothy Hatfield with the Ohio County Sheriff's Office.
Detective Hatfield says this is one of the extremes of the growing meth epidemic.
"It is a problem, and it has been for some time," Detective Hatfield says.
The child's family says it believes that the situation could have been prevented.
"It's not like, 'Oh, she swallowed something and her mouth is burned'. She is severely, traumatically injured," Stone says.
Both Arroyo and McStoots have been charged with controlled substance endangerment to a child and wanton endangerment.
Additional charges have now been added for them both. McStoots is now facing charges of manufacturing methamphetamine, unlawful possession of methamphetamine, possession of a controlled substance, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Arroyo is also charged with manufacturing methamphetamine.
Detective Hatfield says McStoots' mother, 50-year-old Loie McStoots, has been arrested on several drug charges including manufacturing meth.
Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: