A two-year-old in Ohio County is in critical condition after authorities say she swallowed ingredients used to make meth.
Ohio County Sheriff's Office says they received information on Saturday from Owensboro Health that they were treating a two-year-old with severe chemical burns to her lips, mouth, tongue, and esophagus.
Deputies say the mother of the child, Rachael Arroyo, and her boyfriend, Jared McStoots, brought her into the hospital stating that they did not know what she had ingested. That night the child had to airlifted to Kosair Hospital in Louisville.
Information led detectives to obtain search warrants for Arroyo's apartment and McStoots home, both located in the Fordsville area. Ohio County Sheriff's Office and Kentucky State Police found evidence of meth being manufactured at McStoots home.
Officials say no one was home at either location when warrants were served, but deputies located Arroyo and McStoots Sunday morning and brought them in for questioning.
Detectives determined that the child had ingested sulfuric acid drain opener, also known as Liquid Fire. McStoots had measured out the ingredients to make meth. Authorities say the two-year-old child got a hold of the sulfuric acid and swallowed it.
Detectives say Arroyo and McStoots waited approximately six hours before finally taking the child to the hospital.
The child remains in critical condition at Kosair Hospital.
Detectives arrested and charged both Arroyo and McStoots with Controlled Substance Endangerment to child and Wanton Endangerment.
The investigation is ongoing and more charges are pending.
Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.
1115 Mt. Auburn Road
Public File Contact: