Fireworks store, apartments go up in flames in Dale - 14 News, WFIE, Evansville, Henderson, Owensboro

Fireworks store, apartments go up in flames in Dale

Posted: Updated:
Source: Dean Moore Source: Dean Moore
Source: Sarah Raymann Source: Sarah Raymann
Source: Christina Balbach Source: Christina Balbach
Source: Jodi Kelley Source: Jodi Kelley

A large fire that a started in a fireworks store completely destroys a building in the town of Dale in Spencer County.

The fire broke out in the building on Washington Street around 6:00 p.m. Firefighters say when they arrived on scene, the entire building was engulfed in flames.

Officials say three apartments were on the top floor of the building and everyone did get out safely.

Fire officials say the fire wasn't easy to fight. They say were flames shooting out of the roof and windows when they arrived.

The fire chief told 14 News that his main concern after making sure no one was still in the building, was to make sure his crew wasn't hurt while fighting the blaze with those fireworks exploding.

"The safety of my men. That's the first thing. That's why I had to pull them back. We had fireworks shooting a 150 feet out the back, hitting the neighbors house, going across the highway, and the spectators. We had to get the spectators back, get everyone out of harms way," Carter Fire Department Chief Can Reinke says.

"I've never seen anything like this. I though my dog went back in, and I yelled at her, then they yelled at me for trying to get her out. I got nothing out," fire victim Julie Underhill says.

There were no injuries. The state fire marshal's office is on scene investigating, trying to figure out what started this fire.

Officials with the Red Cross says volunteers are on there to help those affected by the fire.

Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow