Investigators taking second look at child's death in restaurant - Tri-State News, Weather & Sports

Investigators taking second look at child's death in restaurant

14 News was told on Sunday that Henderson Police now plan to re-interview people at the Henderson Captain D's, where a child fell off a counter and died.

We spoke to Vanderburgh County Coroner Annie Groves on Sunday, who performed Mason Ray's autopsy on Saturday. She says his injuries do not appear to be entirely consistent with a simple fall from a counter-top. Now, Mason Ray's grandfather, Kevin Brown, says his grandson's death seems suspicious.

"The autopsy revealed a head injury of the subdural hematoma," says Groves. "We have the cause of death, we're just now pending on the manner of death because we're doing more investigative work, and we're doing some more tests here."

The manner of Mason Ray Brown's death is what Vanderburgh County Coroner Annie Groves  and the Henderson Police are now focused on.

Groves says Mason Ray's injuries are not consistent with what his grandmother and mom, Mandy Peckenpaugh, told police.

"That's what we're going back on," says Groves. "Now that we have the autopsy results, we're going to go back, the Henderson Police is going to go back and conduct a couple more interviews, but we also need to do some more testing here at our office, says Groves. "We're going to do some histology and then we always do toxicology also."

Mason Ray's grandfather, Kevin Brown, says he and his son, Aaron Brown, have been in contact with a Henderson Police Detective, regarding the situation.

"None of the stories have matched up between the mother, the grandmother," says Kevin. "Nothing he's heard has actually made any sense. He said he's going to get to the bottom of it, and he's going to go back and do more investigating. But they can't even keep their story straight about what happened."

Brown says he is especially bothered by the fact that Mason Ray's grandmother never called 911, but instead took Mason Ray to the hospital herself.

"You should call 911 any time there's that kind of emergency," says Kevin. "The hospital is maybe a mile down the road, they could have had an ambulance there in a minute, they could've life-flighted him to Evansville. It may or may not have done any good, but it would've been extra time."

Groves says Mason Ray died, just three minutes after he arrived at St. Mary's.

"Sometimes 30 seconds or a minute actually counts. In this case, I'm sure it's a half-hour or an hour, the way it's looking," says Kevin.

Groves says testing alone will take two weeks, so she doesn't expect this investigation to conclude very soon, and she says if Mason Ray's death is eventually ruled suspicious, other investigative agencies may get involved.

"Somebody should get prosecuted to the fullest extent, if that is what happened. Something needs to be done about it," says Kevin.

Groves says the placement of Mason Ray's injuries is what has her questioning what happened, and she assures us she will get to the bottom of it.


Related Stories:

EXCLUSIVE: Investigator wants case of child death at restaurant reexamined


Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly